Sunday, February 26 – Saturday, March 3
– Charlie Morton threw a bullpen session. He appears to be on schedule with his rehab.
(Video by Bill Brink of the Post-Gazette)
– The Pirates took part in their photo day for pictures/videos to be used on the PNC Park scoreboard this season:
– Notable pitchers that threw live BP: Erik Bedard, Joel Hanrahan, Tony Watson, James McDonald, etc.
Jeff Karstens working on bunting
– The Pirates are willing to work out a multiyear deal for Andrew McCutchen.
– Notable pitchers to throw live BP: A.J. Burnett, Jeff Karstens, Kevin Correia, Gerrit Cole, etc.
Erik Bedard works on baserunning. Euclides Rojas looks on.
– A.J. Burnett has started a college fund for Daniel McCutchen’s daughter in exchange for the number 34.
– Charlie Morton threw live batting practice for the first time this spring.
– The pitchers continued their bunting competition:
– During the bunting competition, A.J. Burnett bunted a ball into his right eye socket, forcing him to return to Pittsburgh for further examination.
– Brad Lincoln won the bunting championship:
– A.J. Burnett will undergo surgery on Friday to repair his right-eye orbital fracture, which was suffered on Wednesday.
– Thursday was the last day at Pirate City for the big league team. They will move over to McKechnie Field for the remainder of spring training.
– After a short day, the team participated in a charity golf outing at the Bradenton Country Club:
– Lineups from Friday’s intrasquad scrimmage:
– The game ended in a 4-4 tie. Highlights: Andrew McCutchen went 2-for-2 with a double and 2 SB. Chase d’Arnaud and Starling Marte both hit triples in the game. Tony Sanchez hit a 3-run homer.
Gerrit Cole pitched a scoreless inning for the Gold Team
– After surgery, it has been decided that A.J. Burnett will be sidelined for 8-12 weeks. Cursed?
– The Pirates agreed to terms with 25 players, all one-year deals, including Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker.
– The Pirates dropped their Grapefruit League opener to the Blue-Jays, 7-1. The Bucs collected just three hits on the day: Michael McKenry RBI single, Gorkys Hernandez single, and Starling Marte double. On the mound, McDonald gave up 2 runs, Watson 3, Leroux 1, and D. McCutchen 1.
Despite the poor performance in the spring debut, it’s great to have Pirates baseball back in action. 33 days until Opening Day in Pittsburgh.