Sunday, February 19 – Saturday, February 25
– Pitchers and catchers reported on Sunday and participated in their first workouts of the spring.
Manager Clint Hurdle talking with the pitchers and catchers before their workout
– A.J. Burnett passed his physical and MLB approved of the deal, finally making it official.
– The Pirates placed Rule 5 pick Gustavo Nunez on the 60-day disabled list, clearing him off the 40-man roster. The move made room for RHP A.J. Burnett.
– Burnett threw his first bullpen session as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates:
– First overall draft pick Gerrit Cole also made his spring debut:
(Video by PG beat writer Michael Sanserino)
– A few notable pitchers that threw bullpen sessions on Tuesday: Joel Hanrahan, Erik Bedard, Evan Meek, James McDonald, etc.
– In addition to bullpens, pitchers also began working on bunting and fielding.
New Bucco SS
– Notable pitchers that took part in bullpen sessions: A.J. Burnett, Jeff Karstens, Charlie Morton, Gerrit Cole, etc.
– Andrew McCutchen arrived at Pirate City and got some work in:
– No bullpens scheduled, just drills and batting practice for pitchers/players.
– Team president Frank Coonelly arrived in Bradenton, but it’s been reported that he was charged with DUI after an arrest in December.
– More bad news came on Thursday for the Bucs: Ryan Braun won his appeal and will not be suspended. Even though we don’t play the Brewers in our first 50 games, it still makes a huge difference in the division.
– First official full squad workout for all players.
– Pitchers threw live BP to hitters. Top match-up was the group featuring Joel Hanrahan and James McDonald throwing to Andrew McCutchen, Jose Tabata, and Alex Presley.
– Andrew McCutchen taking BP:
(Video by Kristy Robinson of Pirates Prospects)
– More live BP, highlighted by Jeff Karstens, A.J. Burnett, Kevin Correia, Gerrit Cole, etc.
Bob Nutting addresses the team
– The Pirates added two games to their spring schedule. They’ll face the Twins in a ‘B’ game on March 10, as well as the Netherlands international team on March 12.
The Bucs kick off their exhibition schedule next Saturday at 1:00 vs. the Blue Jays in Dunedin. 40 days until Opening Day in Pittsburgh.