- Joel Hanrahan avoided arbitration on Monday by signing a one-year deal. Just a day after his wedding, he inked the deal worth $4.1 million. Hanrahan will take a significant raise after a deserving 40 save season in which he went to the All-Star Game.
- The Pirates also avoided arbitration with Charlie Morton by signing him to a one-year, $2.445 million deal. Morton went 10-10 with a 3.83 ERA in 2011. He underwent surgery for a torn labrum in his hip, and will hopefully be ready by the start of the season.
-It was also just announced that the Pirates reached a deal with Jeff Karstens for the 2012 season. He’ll make $3.1 million this year.
- Ryan Ludwick signed a one-year deal, $2.5 million deal with Cincinnati. He came to the Pirates from San Diego at the trade deadline and hit a combined .237, 13 homers, and 75 RBI with the two clubs. It will be interesting to see how he performs in a hitter’s park like Great American Ballpark, and also how he will fit in between lefty sluggers Joey Votto and Jay Bruce in the lineup.
- The Pirates invited six non-roster players to spring training: P Gerrit Cole, P Mike Crotta, C Tony Sanchez, C Eric Fryer, C Ramon Hernandez, and OF Robbie Grossman. That brings the total to 17 invites for 2012.
- MLB Trade Rumors reports that the White Sox are still listening on Gavin Floyd, and lists the Pirates, Red Sox, and Blue Jays as potential fits. Floyd would definitely be a nice addition to rotation and the Pirates should definitely consider it if the price is right.
- Monday Night Classics on ROOT Sports seem to be a hit. Check out the full schedule here: http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25910&ATCLID=205348983
- 32 days until pitchers & catchers report and 79 days until Opening Day.